- Fractional Engineering Leader
- Software Engineering Leader
- Product Operations
- VP of Engineering
- Leadership development
Helping product and engineering organizations navigate critical inflection points in their growth journey
My practice draws on two decades of experience as a software engineering leader in organizations experiencing periods of rapid growth and dynamic market conditions.
In the course of my career, I have managed hundreds of individuals, including dozens of leaders at all skill levels, across a wide variety of software products.
My resume includes:
- Head of engineering at two startups in periods of extreme growth: Yext (NASDAQ:YEXT), 2009-2011, and Rent the Runway (NASDAQ:RENT), 2011-2012.
- Lead for engine…
Fractional Head of Operations
May 2023 - Present
A brand-new startup on a mission to revolutionize how people interact with information, services, and each other by applying always-on, deeply integrated language models.
- Responsible for recruiting, people operations, finance, compliance, etc
- Helping with product strategy, competitive analysis, project management, and investor relations.
Senior Engineering Manager
Apr 2020 - Nov 2022
- Supported 35 ML and infrastructure engineers responsible for the overall relevance of stories and articles from news publications presented to Facebook users.
- Supported multiple teams in Instagram Product Foundations, including the teams responsible for all Instagram notifications, the Instagram Design System, the Instagram Android experience, and Instagram i18n and ally
- Led a skunkworks effort focused on redefining and rebuilding Facebook's entire internal recruiting product suite to adapt to a remote-first world.
Senior Engineering Manager
Oct 2012 - Aug 2019
- Led cross-functional (software, UX, policy, etc) efforts preventing the spread of [m|d]isinformation on all Google products, as well as on the broader web.
- Leader of a broad range of software engineering teams working to enable social impact through Google and its technology, including Crisis Response, Civic Innovation, and Education
Rent the Runway
Jul 2011 - Jul 2012
- Reformed engineering from a key weakness to core strength for the company
- Oversaw all aspects of technology architecture, performance, and functionality for both consumer-facing and internal applications
- Personally developed core backend for maximizing rental inventory utilization, increasing utilization by over 20%
- Led development of new features and infrastructure to grow company revenue from a $12M run-rate to a $22M+ run-rate
- Grew engineering team from 10 to 25
Nov 2009 - May 2011
- Grew the engineering team from 2 engineers to 16 engineers in 18 months
- Created custom, lightweight, software development processes to streamline work of the team, particularly in the areas of code style, code reviews, technical design, project management, knowledge sharing, and mentoring
- Contributed code directly to many products and internal tools
Software Engineer and Engineering Manager
May 2005 - Apr 2008
- Managed multiple engineering project teams with responsibilities in AdWords and AdSense
- Founded and led projects focused on extracting structured data from the web and providing innovative search applications
- Led the launch of Google.com “Q&A” feature, a system which uses facts extracted from the web to provide instant answers to fact seeking search queries. This system currently triggers on approximately 0.5% of Google.com search traffic. More details at
- Filed or co-filed 18 patents for information extraction methods that take advantage of the scale of data available to Google
Send me Talent
Chat with the founders of Go Fractional to learn what problems you could be solving tomorrow.