- Fractional CTO
Head of Engineering at XMTP
Over the past decade, I've held pivotal roles in the tech industry, consistently driving innovation and leadership. My most recent role was Head of Engineering at XMTP Labs. Before this, I directed the Repos and Pull Requests orgs at GitHub for three years. My journey in tech began at Pivotal Labs in New York City, followed by roles at Foursquare and Dropbox. I also co-founded Eave, a home lending venture acquired by HomeLight.
Head Of Engineering
Mar 2022 - Present
Our mission at XMTP Labs is to build a secure, open, and decentralized communication protocol that connects creators, communities, apps, and users. By enabling end-to-end encrypted messaging between web3 identities, XMTP enables developers to build messaging features that create value while deepening user engagement and trust.
- Hired as first Head of Engineering for a16z-backed messaging protocol startup.
- Grew team to 14 engineers, establishing development processes and organizational structure.
- Managed development, feature prioritization, and technical execution of XMTP, an open, decentralized end-to-end encrypted messaging protocol.
Director Of Engineering
Feb 2019 - Mar 2022
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
- Managed App Core, a self-directed organization responsible for identifying and executing performance and reliability improvements in the GitHub monolith, empowering feature teams to focus on building with less concern for infrastructure.
- Shipped Data Partitioning, a massive cross-organization effort requiring the coordination of executive delivery goals as well as managing the efforts of over 100 contributing engineers from across GitHub Engineering.
- The GitHub Blog featured Data Partitioning in a post here: https://github.blog/2021-09-27-partitioning-githubs-relational-databases-scale/
- Directed Repos and Pull Requests, developing a deep understanding of cross-company processes.
Eave - Home Lending
CTO and Co-Founder
Feb 2016 - Feb 2019
Eave by HomeLight is a digital mortgage lender empowering today’s homebuyer. We offer simple, transparent home loans that enable creditworthy buyers to be treated like cash buyers. In May 2019, Eave joined forces with Homelight to help 100,000’s of home buyers, sellers and realtors across the country. Together, we’re empowering people to achieve the best outcome when buying or selling real estate.Saro Vasudevan, Anoop Ranganath, and Jack McCambridge founded Eave to fulfill a singular mission: make home buying easier by rebuilding the antiquated mortgage process from the ground up. We created powerful technology that can fully underwrite borrowers in just 24 hours, providing more speed and certainty in the process. We’ve worked hard to perfect our system. We’ve helped buyers with even the most complex finances win in some of the most competitive real estate markets in the country. We’re thrilled to report that 90 percent of our buyers have won the first home they’ve bid on. Even better? We save our clients thousands of dollars and weeks of frustration.
- Recruited and managed 8 engineers and 2 designers to build a full-stack mortgage loan origination system.
- Functioned as product manager, leading understanding of lending operations' processes, identifying needs and requirements, and specifying and scoping work with engineering and design teams.
- Conceived and implemented software, metrics, and processes to facilitate rapid engineering responses to lending operations' needs.
Software Engineering Lead
Nov 2014 - Feb 2016
Dropbox is the one place to keep life organized and keep work moving. With more than 700 million registered users across 180 countries, we're on a mission to design a more enlightened way of working. Dropbox is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, and has offices around the world. To learn more about working at Dropbox, visit dropbox.com/jobs We also have a few simple guidelines to keep this space respectful and productive. Please avoid: - Harassing other people or using language that’s hateful, offensive, vulgar, or advocates violence - Trolling, fraud and spamming - Violating someone else’s rights or privacy - Advertising or soliciting donations - Link baiting - Posting off topic comments or thread hijacking We may remove comments that violate these guidelines.
- As the manager of Previews Engineering in NYC, led the recruitment of 5 engineers in under six months, growing team from 3 members to 8.
- Partnered with the NYC site lead to cultivate and ensure Dropbox culture and values in our distributed office.
- Led an infrastructure upgrade project for Dropbox's shared links to support additional functionality required by mobile clients, and the migration of the document preview system from a set of disparate Python codebases to a modern React-based system.
Jan 2010 - Jan 2014
Where Matters: Put the most trusted, independent location data and technology platform to work for your business.
- As the first full-time iOS engineer, built and managed the iOS team to 9 engineers.
- Migrated the engineering and product organizations to agile development practices, focused around two-week sprints with consistent and predictable shipping schedules while simultaneously providing a sustainable work environment for engineers and designers
- Initiated, scoped, and managed development of Foursquare's passive location technology, Pilgrim, which allowed the company to extend its location recommendations to people even when the app was closed.
- Wired Magazine featured Pilgrim in an article here: http://www.wired.com/2013/12/the-brilliant-foursquare-hack/
Mar 2009 - Feb 2010
VMware Tanzu Labs works with organizations worldwide to accelerate the delivery of software and modernize existing apps, while reducing operatingcosts and risk. All of our projects use remote collaboration, from accommodating a single participant in another location, to full remote delivery. We’ve established practices for agile software delivery in a remote context based on years of experience. We don’t just drop in, deploy, and leave— we work side by side with your team (even virtually) to build capabilities and instill a process that shows immediate and lasting impact. We help empower your teams to deliver the products your customers need, regardless of their location.
Send me Talent
Chat with the founders of Go Fractional to learn what problems you could be solving tomorrow.