Learn how a data science executive thinks about building scalable data systems at startups.
CTO, Technical Architect, Software Craftsman, 3x CTO / Founder / First engineer, Grew 2 software companies until their acquisition
I have a proven track record in bootstrapping and leading engineering activities within a startup.
My expertise includes:
- Leading technical strategy and designing pragmatic software architecture
- Building and growing the engineering team (including remote/distributed)
- Establishing processes to support and enforce the SDLC.
- Collaborating with the Product team and the leadership to identify the MVP and set key milestones.
When it makes sense, I am happy to be super hands-on and directly contribute to the code, the infrastructure or the deployment automation.
Open to Fractional CTO work and more globally any technical / architecture advisory for startups.
As the founding Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of Nuxeo for 16 years, I orchestrated the company's evolution from a nascent startup in Paris to a robust entity culminating in a successful US acquisition.
Here are key highlights from my journey:
- Collaborated closely with the CEO to reboot Nuxeo: pivoting both our technological approach and business model.
- Spearheaded the full re-architecture and redevelopment of our platform
- Expanded the technical team's footprint across Europe, nurturing a diverse and dynamic engineering culture.
- Relocated to the US to bolster Nuxeo's growth trajectory, establishing a dedicated technical division in the US.
- Pioneered the transition to a Cloud-First approach, completing the execution of the full SaaS approach.
- Conceptualized and launched Nuxeo's Artificial Intelligence offering
The Nuxeo Platform has consistently been celebrated for its:
- Scalability, capacity to handling evolving and growing workload demands.
- Extensibility and pluggability, ensuring seamless integration and flexibility.
- Cloud readiness, ensuring safe and cost efficient hosting.
The Nuxeo technical team reached around 50 engineers in France, Portugal, UK, Japan and US.
Nuxeo was acquired by Hyland in 2021.
I joined Prolaio as the first engineer to build a Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) platform, tailored to enhance care for patients with heart disease by delivering crucial insights.
- Hire and structure the Core Engineering team
- Design and architect the Cloud Platform (Data Pipeline / AI / Research)
- Implement the software and the automated deployment
- Manage Security and Compliance automatic checks
After raising Series A, we acquired a bigger company and joining teams and technologies
H2H was an internal startup effort from Unilog to acquire knowledge and build a service offer centered on collaboration tools.
I joined H2H as the 2nd employee and CTO.
During the 3 years business plan we achieved the following milestones:
- Create and Grow an engineering team of 10+
- Build the technical offering : Software selection, Engineering skills, Methodologies
- Meet the Sales and Client acquisition goals
Since H2H was a success, the team was "swallowed" by the bigger group: resources and knowledge were dispatched in the Unilog group.
Unilog was then acquired by Logica and then CGI.
Head of Engineering
Sep 2022 - Present
Joined Prolaio as the first engineer and built the Cloud Platform and the Engineering Team to support a Software as Medical Device.
- Design the cloud platform and deploy a first pilot in a clinical trial after 2 months.
Staff Engineer / Platform Architect
Feb 2022 - Aug 2022
Joined the company as their first Staff Engineer / Platform architect and started initiating the work to make the platform more scalable and more secure.
- Spearheaded the transition to a Cloud First architecture
Apr 2021 - Feb 2022
Transition the Nuxeo's engineering team into the Hyland organization and define convergence for Nuxeo Platform into Hyland's products portfolio.
- Worked jointly with CTOs of Hyland and Alfresco
CTO / Founder
May 2005 - Apr 2021
Joined the company at early stage and drove the technology strategy and the engineering team. After rebooting the company by changing the business model and doing a complete re-platforming, I lead the engineering work to keep the platform ahead of the competition in terms of architecture, modularity and scalability. We progressively transitioned to a Cloud First approach and a pure SaaS Model. I lead the integration of AI/ML (Custom Models) into the Nuxeo Platform.
- Build a team of 45+ highly skilled engineers across US/FR/PT
- Nuxeo Platform was always recognized as the best architecture in ECM solutions
- Helped develop the company in the US and reach acquisition
CTO / Founder
Dec 2001 - May 2005
I started the H2H Journey with just the CEO and a 3 years business plan. I progressively built an engineering team and a technical solutions to compose a service offering for Unilog customers interested in improving collaboration.
- Build the first Opensource skills center for Unilog
- Succesfully execute the business plan so the startup is merged into the group
Architect / Senior developer
Jun 2001 - Dec 2001
Integrate SCOL Technology and VM for Linux and Firefox.
- Participate in re-platforming discussions to shape the future of the technology
- Bring new technology approaches (Scol Web Page generation engine)
Unilog IT Services
IT Consultant / Junior developer
Apr 1998 - May 2001
Worked for multiple implementation projects for Bank, Insurance and the Airspace industry.
- Became expert on the MS technologies of the moment (ActiveX, COM/DCOM)
Send me Talent
Chat with the founders of Go Fractional to learn what problems you could be solving tomorrow.